Save oven space this holiday season with Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole. Made with fresh green beans and a few mushrooms, no canned soup is needed. It’s creamy and fresh tasting with a crunchy onion topping. Absolutely delicious!
Cook Time: 6 minutes | Total Time: 6 minutes
- 1 cup canned fried onions, French’s
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 slices hearty white bread, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups canned fried onions
- Pulse 1 cup of fried onions in a food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms release their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and sauté until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, garlic, and thyme. Saute 30 seconds.
- Add flour and ground onions to skillet and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in broth and cream and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce gets very thick, about 10 minutes.
- Place green beans in the slow cooker (6-quart slow cooker is best) and stir in sauce. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove lid, stir in cheese and remaining salt and pepper. Turn heat setting to WARM and place lid back on.
- For topping, pulse bread and butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Place bread crumb mixture along with 2 cups fried onions in a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, pour green bean mixture into a casserole dish and top with onion mixture.