This dirty rice dressing recipe is the perfect spicy Cajun side dish for your holiday table! It’s easy to make and incredibly flavorful.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 pound andouille sausage chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 (8 ounce) box Tony Chachere’s Creole Dirty Rice Mix
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- Scallions chopped, to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- Add the butter, olive oil, celery, and onion to a pot over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prep the sausage.
- Add the sausage to the pot, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic to the pot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken broth, Tony’s Dirty Rice mix, breadcrumbs, and red pepper. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and then reduce the heat and cover the pot so it’s simmering. I suggest medium-low heat, but you may need to turn it down even more if it’s simmering too rapidly.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is mostly soaked up. I like to give the dirty rice dressing a stir several times throughout cooking to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Garnish with scallions and parsley and serve immediately.