Crispy Chilli Chicken with Broccoli. A quick Asian-style chicken stir fry, ready in 20 minutes! Including gluten free instructions.
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 20 mins
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 2 chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped/grated
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped/crushed
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into small florets
- Juice of 2 limes
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce (Use tamari for gluten free)*
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 red chilli – chopped discard the seeds if you don’t like it too hot
- Small bunch spring onions/scallions chopped
- Boiled rice for serving
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying. Mix the salt and pepper with the cornflour and toss the chicken strips in the cornflour until completely coated.
- When the oil is hot, tip the chicken in and fry until golden brown and crispy. You may need to do this in two batches. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the pan and place in a bowl lined with kitchen roll to soak up excess fat.
- There should still be left some oil in the pan at this point. You need about 1 tbsp, so carefully discard some if you have more than that.
- Take the wok off the heat or turn it down very low and add in the ginger and garlic (the garlic will burn if you have it on a high heat), give it a stir for 30 seconds and then add the broccoli and chopped chilli to the pan.
- Fry for a 2-3 minutes, so it’s warmed through but still crisp. Then remove the broccoli from the wok.
- Mix the lime juice, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl, then pour onto the wok.
- Turn up the heat and let it bubble for a couple of minutes until the sauce starts to reduce and thicken (see note below if using tamari).
- Add the chicken and broccoli back in, give it a stir and heat through for 1 minute, then serve with boiled rice. Garnish with the spring onions and more chopped chillies.