Cuisine: Asian | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes | Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Do you want to eat your orange chicken? This skinny (OK, even skinnier) Skinny Orange Chicken Recipe will be a hit.
The formula was reworked to retain all its flavour but no refined sugar. In case you are allergic to gluten, I have included gluten-free options. I hope you enjoy this delicious dinner as much as I do.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 – 4 dried chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- sliced green onions, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- Line a high-sided baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick silicone baking sheet. Set up a dredging station with three medium-sized bowls – one bowl filled with the flour and seasoned with salt and pepper, another one with the eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper, and one with panko. Next to the last bowl place the prepared sheet.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Begin dredging the chicken by first pressing it in the flour. Lift to shake off any excess.
- Coat in the in beaten eggs and finally into the in panko, covering thoroughly.
- Arrange the coated chicken on the baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven until no longer pink, 18 to 20 minutes.
- To make the sauce, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and cornstarch. Whisk until combined. Add chili peppers and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is baked and crispy, transfer to a large bowl and drizzle in the orange sauce. Toss well to coat.
- Serve over cooked rice garnished with orange zest, sesame seeds and chopped green onions.