This vegan pumpkin soup from canned pumpkin is fast, easy, and comforting! Coconut milk makes it extra silky and delicious.
Prep Time 5 minutes | Cook Time 25 minutes | Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/2 small onion chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder (I used one with medium heat)
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or use honey)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until translucent (5-7 minutes) – it’s ok if it lightly browns.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the pumpkin purée, vegetable broth, and curry powder. Increase the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down a bit and simmer the soup for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and maple syrup. Add the flour and about 1/2 cup of soup into a small bowl/mug/etc. and mix it until the flour has dissolved. Add the flour mixture to the soup and let it gently simmer for another 10 minutes or so. This will help thicken the soup a bit.
- Season soup with salt & pepper as needed.
- You can use fresh pumpkin purée instead of canned if you have some on hand.
- If you want to add more zing, add some fresh ginger to the soup at the same time as the garlic.