Creamy Tuna Pasta Bake – a classic meal that everyone loves – made with mostly store-cupboard ingredients!
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 45 mins | Total Time: 55 mins
- 400 g rigatoni pasta
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion peeled and chopped finely
- 50 g plain/all purpose flour
- 600 ml milk
- 250 g strong cheddar, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 320 g canned tuna (albacore tuna if possible) drained and flaked
- 330 g canned sweetcorn drained
- 150 g frozen petit pois
- large handful chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 180C/350f.
- Boil a large pan of water, add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan, add in the onion and cook on low for 6-8 minutes until the onions are very soft. Turn up the heat to medium and stir in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, using a whisk to stir (just stir, don’t whisk) it in. Once all the milk is incorporated, continue to heat whilst stirring until the sauce thickens. Then stir in 2/3 of the cheese until melted. Season with black pepper and a little salt if required (the cheese is quite salty though).
- Drain the pasta and pour into a 20x30cm baking dish. Pour over the white sauce, then add the tuna, sweetcorn, petit pois and all but 1 tbsp of parsley. Mix together, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until the cheese is golden brown. Top with the reserved parsley before serving.