Low-Carb Grilled Summer Squash Boats are an awesome gluten-free vegetarian grilling recipe! It will help you use up some of those yellow summer squash that are bursting out of the garden right now.
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped basil or cilantro
- 4 medium yellow summer squash
- 4 ounces shredded Cabot Alpine Cheddar or sharp cheddar
- Preheat grill for indirect heat on one side. For gas grill with two burners, use only one burner on high. For three burner grill use two on medium- high. For charcoal grill, when coals are ready rake them to one side.
- While grill heats, heat two teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper, onion, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in tomatoes and basil or cilantro.
- While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the squash. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Hollow them out slightly using a Parisian scoop, a teaspoon or apple corer. Brush the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over the squash. Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon salt over the squash.
- The grill should be about 350 degrees F. inside with the lid closed. Grill squash cut-side-down on the hot side of the grill until starting to soften and they have grill marks, 5 to 8 minutes. Flip them over onto the other side of the grill without heat under them, so they are cut-side up. Divide the filling among them. Top with the cheddar, dividing evenly. Cover the grill and let cook until the squash is completely tender and the cheese is melted, about 15 to 18 minutes. Season with more salt if desired.