This Enchilada Skillet Lasagne is a super simple meal, made with chicken and chorizo in a spicy tomato sauce, Using corn tortillas instead of pasta means you can have this dinner on the table in 20 minutes! A Mexican twist on the classic Italian dish!
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 20 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g skinless chicken breast diced (approx 1 very large, or two small chicken breasts)
- 1 brown onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 50 g chorizo sliced into small chunks
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 400 g tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
- 200 g (1/2 a tin) tin of kidney beans or mixed beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 regular red chilli finely chopped (I use Fresno chillies)
- 2 heaped tbsp sour cream
- 4 tbsp double/heavy cream
- 25 g of cheddar cheese grated
You will also need:
- 2 corn tortillas check for gluten free ones if required
- 120 g of mixed cheddar and orange cheese such as red Leicester
- 5 chopped cherry/grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 chopped fresh chilli
- 1/2 chopped avocado
- In a large frying pan, heat up the oil and cook the chicken on a medium-to-high heat for 3 minutes until sealed. Add in the onion and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add in the chorizo and cook for a minute, then add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, ground coriander and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for another minute, then add in the tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, sugar and chopped chillies. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer gently, whilst you mix your white sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream, double cream and cheese. This is your white sauce.
- Now it’s time to layer up. Spoon out half of your meat sauce into a bowl and flatten out the remaining sauce in the pan. Place one corn tortilla on top of the meat sauce. Then spread half of the white sauce on top of the tortilla.
- Top with the remaining meat sauce from the bowl. Then place your second tortilla on top, and spread on the rest of the white sauce.
- Sprinkle on the cheese, then turn off the heat and place the pan under a grill (broiler) for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve from the pan, topped with chopped tomatoes, chopped chillies, fresh coriander (cilantro) and chunks of avocado.