Homemade caramelized apples make a great topping for breakfast pancakes and French toasts, desserts (such as crepes), and ice cream. They are also a great addition to brie cheese, goat cheese, and even meats, such as pork chops and chicken. The apples are sauteed in butter, lemon juice, cinnamon, brown sugar and finished with just a touch of honey! This recipe provides detailed tips and step-by-step instructions for sauteed apples. They are delicious, easy-to-make, vegetarian, and gluten-free!
Prep Time 10 mins | Cook Time 20 mins | Total Time 30 mins
- 4 apples 2 green (Granny Smith), 2 red (Gala or Fuji)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- fresh thyme
How To Make Caramelized Apples
- Prepare the apples. I used 4 apples (2 red and 2 green for presentation purposes). Core the apples and slice each one length-wise.
- Place sliced apples into a large bowl, add brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and mix. Let apples sit for about 15 minutes to release juices.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter on high heat. Add sliced apples (without juice at the bottom of the pan) cook on high heat for about 3 or 5 minutes, checking periodically. After 3 or 5 minutes, flip sliced apples to the other side and let them cook on medium-high heat for another 3 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Depending on how hot your stove gets, it might take you less or more time to cook apples, the key is to brown them or even get a slightly “burned” effect. But don’t overdo it, once the apples have this “roasted” appearance.
- Right after you remove the pan with roasted sliced apples from the heat, immediately add honey – it will make apples sizzle and will caramelize them beautifully, off the heat.
- Sprinkle with the fresh thyme, if desired. You can also, optionally, pour the delicious juices from the bowl that you used for apples over the cooked apples.
Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 55mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 274IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg
enjoy with Caramelized Apples