Are you wondering the best way to prepare Empanada dough? You’re at the right spot! Find out how to create flaky, soft empanada dough. Then, follow a step-by-step guide for folding it as well.
Prep Time : 15 minutes | Cook Time : 25 minutes | Total Time : 40 minutes
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 stick + 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked
1. Use a pastry cutter, a fork or your hands to cut the butter into the flour until it forms a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle in the salt and stir.
2. Pour in the water and egg and stir together until it forms a clumpy dough.
3. Drop the dough out onto a counter or a smooth surface and press the dough together until it forms a ball. Then knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
4. Cut the dough into 22 – 25, 1.5-ounce pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then roll them out evenly into 5 to 6-inch circles with a rolling pin.
5. When you are ready to fill and bake the empanadas, preheat the oven to 375°F.
6. Add 2-3 tablespoons of filling to the center of each empanada round and pinch the edges together. Use a fork to press the edges together or to form a classic empanada design, press and twist the edges of dough together.
Bake the filled empanadas for 25-27 minutes or until light and golden on top. Let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.
If you leave the dough to rest out without covering it with a towel on the top, it’ll begin to dry and break. It’s recommended to utilize the dough as quickly after you’ve made it.
For shiny golden empanadas some egg wash (1 beat egg and 2 teaspoons of water) on the tops of the empanadas prior to baking.
Take the empanadas out of the pan once they’ve finished baking, to avoid the bottoms from becoming soggy due to any filling that might have fallen out during baking.
Wrap the dough in plastic and let it sit for up to two days prior to use. 20 minutes prior to filling and baking, take your dough out of the refrigerator and allow the butter to melt a little.
Yield:22 | Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 52mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g