Marry me chicken is about to become your new favorite chicken recipe! This crowd-pleaser takes juicy, tender chicken breasts and marries them with an incredible parmesan cream sauce, sun dried tomatoes, and fresh basil for a rich, flavorful main course everyone will love.
Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 30 minutes | Total Time 45 minutes | Servings 6 | Calories 290kcal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large chicken breasts approximately 1 ½ to 2 pounds
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth see Notes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- basil chiffonaded, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Liberally season each chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken to skillet. Sear 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and sear on other side 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove seared chicken from skillet and set aside. Add garlic to skillet and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and heavy cream, then slowly add grated parmesan, sun dried tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring mixture to simmer, then return chicken breasts to skillet. Quickly flip chicken a time or two to coat in sauce, then transfer entire skillet to oven.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
- Remove chicken from skillet and plate with desired sides. Spoon additional sauce from skillet over chicken, garnish with chiffonaded basil, and serve immediately.
- The sauce will be on the thin side. If you’d like a thicker, creamier sauce, you can thicken it with cornstarch, flour, cream cheese (at room temperature), or a tiny bit of xanthan gum after removing the chicken in the final step.
- Chicken Broth: If you’re watching your sodium intake or you just like a little less of it, use a low sodium chicken broth. If you’re gluten free you’ll want to make sure you’re using a gluten free chicken broth!
- Parmesan Cheese: Cold cheese can clump when it’s added to the hot liquid, so make sure it’s at room temperature before you begin. Additionally, remove the skillet from the heat before adding the cheese, to avoid clumping or curdling.
- To Chiffonade the Basil: Stack fresh basil leaves on top of each other, then roll tightly lengthwise. Use a small, sharp knife to slice the roll into thin ribbons. Slice perpendicular to roll.
- Make it Lower Fat: Use half-and-half instead of heavy cream.
- Make it Dairy Free/Whole30/Paleo: See our recipe for Whole30 Marry Me Chicken!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 357mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 509IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 2mg | Net Carbs: 6g
enjoy with Marry Me Chicken (Chicken in a Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce)