Popcorn chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy inside. Satisfying and the ultimate comfort food. Great as an appetizer or salad topping.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 cup oil, vegetable or canola
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and garlic powder.
- Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and the panko crumbs onto a plate.
- Dredge a piece of chicken into the flour mixture until evenly coated then dip in buttermilk, letting excess drip off. Lastly, roll in panko bread crumbs until evenly coated. Transfer to a platter.
- Preheat 1-inch of oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Adjust the heat to keep the oil at 350˚F. Fry the popcorn chicken in small batches, leaving space between each piece and flipping as needed. Fry until golden brown and 165˚F at the deepest part of the chicken on a thermometer.
- Remove the popcorn chicken from the oil and let it rest on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce!
*Nutrition calculation is only an estimate as it is difficult to quantify oil quantity from frying.