This Vegetarian Loaded Mexican Tortilla Pan dinner is packed with flavour and loads of healthy goodies! A real treat that won’t make you feel that you’re missing out on meat. Plus it’s ready in 20 minutes!
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped into chunks
- 1 courgette chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 red or green chilli chopped
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins of good-quality chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin of kidney beans or mixed beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 25 g of vegetarian Cheddar cheese grated
- 4 tbsp double (heavy) cream
- 1 Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp soured cream
You will also need:
- 2 flour tortillas (use gluten free tortillas if required)
- 100 g of mixed vegetarian Cheddar and vegetarian red Leicester grated
- 1 Small bunch fresh coriander (cilantro) roughly chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli (I liked Fresno chillies) sliced
- 1 ripe avocado de-stoned, scooped out and sliced
- ½ small red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large frying pan, heat up the oil over a medium heat and add in the onion and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add in the garlic, yellow pepper and courgette. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, then add the cumin, cinnamon, ground coriander and chilli. Stir and cook for another minute, then stir in the tinned tomatoes, kidney or mixed beans, honey, salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, whilst you mix your cheese sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the 25g cheese, double cream, salt, pepper and soured cream. This is your cheese sauce – it will be a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Now it’s time to layer up. Spoon out half of your vegetable sauce from the pan, into a bowl, and flatten out the remaining sauce in the pan. Place one tortilla on top of the sauce in the pan, then spread half of the cheese sauce on top of the tortilla. Top with the remaining vegetable sauce from the bowl. Then place your second tortilla on top, followed by the rest of the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle on the 100g mixed cheese and place the pan on a medium-to-high heat for a minute until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Place the pan under a grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve from the pan, topped with fresh coriander, the sliced chilli, avocado and red onion.