This Sweet Chilli Jam recipe is sweet, spicy and makes a great homemade sweet chilli sauce. Its not difficult to make and super satisfying to know you made it yourself!
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr 30 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 50 mins
- 8 red peppers deseeded and roughly chopped
- 10 red chillies roughly chopped
- finger-sized piece fresh root ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves peeled
- 400 g tin cherry tomatoes
- 750 g golden caster sugar
- 200 ml red wine vinegar
- Put your jam jars through the dishwasher to sterilise.
- Chop the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger and garlic by hand or in a food processor until finely chopped. Pour into a pan and add the tin of cherry tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down and let it bubble gently for about 90-100 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir more frequently during the last 20 mins or so, just to ensure it doesn’t catch and burn.
- The jam should thicken during this time, but will still be pouring consistency (about the consistency of tinned tomato soup). It can be cooked for longer if it still looks very thin (but it will thicken more once cooled). Once the jam reaches this stage, leave to cool for 20 mins or so and then carefully pour into the sterilized jam jars and leave to cool completely.