I didn’t think proper roasties could get any better, until now!! These Smashed Roast Potatoes with Garlic, Bacon and Cheddar are AMAZING!
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 50 mins | Total Time: 1 hr
- 125 g goose fat or lard
- 500 g floury potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 5 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 garlic clove peeled and minced
- 50 g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F. Place the goose fat or lard in a large metal roasting tin and place in the oven to heat.
- Meanwhile, place the chunks of potato in a large pan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-12 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes well, place back in the pan, place a lid on and give the pan a good shake. This should fluff the potatoes up. A few may break apart too, but that’s fine.
- By now the oil should be very hot. Open the oven door and working quickly but carefully, spoon the potatoes into the pan. Turn them over, so they’re coated in hot oil then close the oven door.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, turning once or twice, until golden brown.
- Place the bacon on a large baking tray and place in the oven to cook with the potatoes for the last 5-6 minutes.
- Take out the bacon, place on a chopping board and slice into small pieces.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and transfer, using a slotted spoon, to the tray you cooked the bacon on. Using a fork, squash the potatoes down to crush them slightly.
- Place a tablespoon of the oil from the potato pan into a small bowl. Add the minced garlic and stir, then brush this garlic oil over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the cheese and bacon on top and place back in the oven for 2 minutes to melt.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the chives, salt and pepper before serving.