Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 45 mins
- 500 g turkey thigh mince
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 medium egg
- 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
- ½ slice of wholemeal bread grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp honey
- 100 ml chicken or vegetable stock water plus half a stock cube is fine (or 1/2 tsp bouillon for gluten free)
- 2 medium-sized courgettes (zucchini) spiralized
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Black pepper
- Small bunch flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, place the turkey mince, 1 tbsp of olive oil, parmesan, egg, half of the chopped onion, the grated bread, salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands and form into meatballs – about the size of a walnut. You should get around 20-24 meatballs.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a very large, non-stick frying pan. Add the meatballs and lightly brown on all sides. This should take around 6-8 minutes. Be careful when turning the meatballs over, as they’re quite delicate.
- Add the remaining onion, celery and garlic to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, thyme, honey and stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the spiralized courgetti. Gently stir into the sauce and place a lid or some foil on the pan. Cook for a further 3 minutes until the courgette has softened.
- Serve the courgetti and meatballs topped with freshly grated parmesan, black pepper and chopped parsley.