Marinated Greek Lamb with Lemon Roast Potatoes – Marinated lamb, packed full of flavour – pan-fried to caramelized perfection.
Prep Time: 15 mins |Cook Time: 40 mins| Total Time: 55 mins
- 700 g (1+ ½ pounds) lean lamb cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 Schwartz bay leaves snapped in half (to help release the oils)
- 1 1/2 tsp Schwartz oregano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 large floury potatoes such as maris piper, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil for roasting the potatoes
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped into bite-size chunks
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp Schwartz oregano
- 4 Schwartz bay leaves
- ½ cup soured cream
- Lemon wedges
- Place the lamb in a large bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, bay leaves, oregano, lemon juice and garlic. Mix together, cover in clingfilm and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f. Pour all but one tbsp of the vegetable oil on a large baking tray, and place in the oven to heat.
- Place the potatoes in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Drain, then give them a little shake in the pan to fluff them up a bit.
- Place the potatoes on the baking tray in the oven. Toss them in the hot oil and cook for 20-25 minutes (turning once during cooking) until golden and crispy.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, heat a large frying pan on a high heat. When the pan is very hot, add a tbsp of oil from the marinade in the pan and with a slotted spoon, place half the lamb in the pan. Leave to brown for 5 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 5-6 minutes until well browned. Sprinkle with half the sugar, and cook for a further 1 minute to caramelize. Remove from the pan and place in a warm bowl, cover with some foil. Repeat with the remaining lamb.
- Once the lamb is cooked, place it in the bowl with the rest of the lamb. With the pan still on a high heat, add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil and the peppers. Cook for 5-6 minutes until lightly charred.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven. Season with salt, then use some kitchen paper to (carefully) soak up any excess oil from the baking tray. Place the lamb and peppers in the tray. Sprinkle with the oregano, lemon zest and bay leaves, toss together and serve with some soured cream, lemon wedges and a side salad if you like.