These blueberry and blackberry mason jar cheesecakes are quick and easy to make. A great portable dessert for picnics and packed lunches that doubles as a make ahead dessert!
Prep Time: 10 mins |Cook Time: 5 mins | Total Time: 15 mins
- 210 g digestives (or 7.5oz /14 whole graham crackers) – the gluten-free variety work great too
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 175 g (1 cup) fresh blueberries
- 225 g (1 ½ cups) fresh blackberries
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 100 g (1/2 cup) caster (or fine granulated) sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 180 ml (¾ cup) double (heavy) cream
- 2 x 225g (2x 8 oz) packs Philidelphia cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85 g (¾ cup) confectioner’s sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- Place the biscuits graham crackers into a large bag or bowl and crush into crumbs using the end of a rolling pin. Add the melted butter, brown sugar and salt and mix until the crumbs absorb the butter.
- Place the blueberries, blackberries, lemon juice, water and sugar in a pan and heat gently until the berries start to break down (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the cornflour mixture and heat through, continuously stirring for another 30 seconds until the berry mixture has thickened. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until thick. Add the cream cheese, vanilla and confectioners’s sugar and whisk again until combined. The mixture should be thick enough to hold its shape.
- Divide the cookie crumbs between 6 mason jars (mine are 200ml/7oz jars) and press down with the back of a spoon.
- Spoon or pipe the cream cheese mixture on top, then spoon over the cooled berry mixture.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest and serve – or place a lid on and refrigerate until ready to serve.