That Chinese take-away might be tempting, but this Honey and Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice is just as tasty, and so much better for you!
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 tbsp oil vegetable or olive oil
- 450 g chicken thigh fillets, chopped into chunks
- 10 button mushrooms sliced
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce use tamari for gluten free
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger peeled and minced
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp mirin usually gluten free, but best to check
- ½ tsp Chinese rice vinegar usually gluten free, but best to check
- 100 g mangetout
- 1 yellow pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 100 g kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water (optional)
Cauliflower egg fried rice:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs lightly whisked with a fork
- 1 large or 2 small cauliflower outer leaves removed, grated
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce use tamari for gluten free
- pinch of black pepper
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the chopped chicken and fry until lightly browned all over. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
- Add the soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, mirin and Chinese rice vinegar. Bring to a gently boil and allow to bubble for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile place another large frying pan on a high heat for the cauliflower rice. Add the oil, then add in the eggs and fry, moving around the pan until lightly scrambled. Add in the grated cauliflower and stir. Add in the soy sauce and pepper, and keep moving the cauliflower rice around the pan until hot throughout. This should take around 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- By now the sauce with the chicken should have thickened and caramelised slightly. Add in the mangetout, yellow pepper and red pepper. Stir and cook for a further 2 minutes, then add in the kale and cook for another minute until just wilted. If the vegetables release too much liquid to the stir fry, you can stir in a little of the cornflour mixture right at the end.
- Serve the chicken with the cauliflower fried rice.