This Grilled Romaine Hearts with Figs, Pear and Manchego salad makes a great starter or lunch. Perfect for entertaining too!
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 5 mins | Total Time: 15 mins
- 2 romaine hearts
- 3 figs cut into halves
- 1 pear cored and sliced thinly
- 50 g shelled walnuts lightly chopped
- 50 g Manchego crumbled
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt & pepper
- Slice the romaine hearts in half lengthwise. Whisk together the dressing ingredients using a fork.
- Heat a griddle plate or pan and brush lightly with oil. Brush the cut side of the romaine hearts with the balsamic dressing and place on the griddle cut-side-down. Cook for 3-5 minutes until charred griddle lines appear (no need to turn over). Brush the figs with the dressing and place on the griddle for the last minute of cooking.
- Place the romaine on a large serving plate, cut side up. Slice the halved figs into quarters and scatter on top of the romaine along with the sliced pear, walnuts and crumbled manchego. Serve with the remaining dressing.