A filling, nutritious and energizing lunch – this Falafel Salad Bowl with Creamy Feta Dip is a belly-filling.
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins
- 28 oz (2 x 14-oz [400g]) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 cup (60g) packed fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup (40g) packed fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli (red pepper) flakes
- 2 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour (replace with gluten free plain/all-purpose flour for a gluten free version)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese add more if you like a thicker sauce (FYI feta is often vegetarian, but check your brand if you need to be sure)
- 3 tbsp double (heavy) cream
- 5 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- good pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 cups (90g) packed baby spinach leaves
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large cooked beetroot peeled and shredded/grated
- ½ cup (55g) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 baby cucumbers or ¼ regular cucumber thinly sliced
- Arils/seeds of ½ pomegranate
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place all the falafel ingredients, except the oil, in a food processor and pulse until combined, but still with a little texture. Form the mixture into 12 equal patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Fry the falafels, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Arrange the spinach, red onion, shredded beet, tomatoes and cucumber slices in 4 bowls. Top each with 3 falafels. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with pomegranate arils and parsley before serving.