This Crock Pot Butter Chicken is creamy, spiced and delicious – an easy recipe that’s perfect for the slow-cooker.
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 4 hrs | Total Time: 4 hrs 20 mins
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 700 g chicken breast approx. 4 large chicken breasts, diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large piece of ginger about the size of your thumb, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 240 ml (1 cup) chicken stock water plus a stock cube or bouillon for gluten free is fine
- 2 x 400ml/14oz tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (Tomato Paste for US)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 cardamom pods sew them together with a piece of string so you can easily fish them out later
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup double/heavy cream
- Handful of chopped coriander to serve
- Preheat your slow cooker to high.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan, add in the onion and chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onions are softened and the chicken is sealed.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, salt, garam masala, curry powder, paprika and cinnamon. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in the stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and cardamom. Stir then pour into your slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove the cardamom then stir in the cream and allow to heat through.
- Serve over rice sprinkled with some coriander