These Caramelized Slow Roast Asian Beef Short Rib will make your house smell amazing! So tender and tasty – a great weekend dinner!
Prep Time: 10 mins| Cook Time: 4 hrs | Total Time: 4 hrs 10 mins
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 meaty beef short ribs
- 1 large red onion peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 400 ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 540 ml hot beef stock (made from water plus 4 tsp Essential Cuisine Concentrated Beef Stock)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce use a gluten-free version if needed
- 1 tbsp brown sauce/HP Sauce/A1 Steak sauce use a gluten-free version if needed
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Small bunch freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Boiled rice
- Heat oven to 140C/275F
- Heat oil in a large casserole pan on a high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, place in the pan and then brown on all sides (takes about 6-8 mins). Take the short ribs out of the pan and place on a plate.
- Turn the heat down to low, place the diced onion into the pan, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and gently cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly until softened.
- Whilst the onions are cooking, make the glaze by mixing the paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, dark brown sugar, honey and water in a small bowl. Spread half of it over the short ribs.
- Add the garlic to the onions and give a stir. Allow to cook for 30 seconds, then add the tinned tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sauce. Bring to the boil and then place the short ribs on top. Place a lid on the pan and place in the oven for 3 hours (check it occasionally. If it starts to look too dry, add in a splash of water).
- After three hours, take out of the oven and give everything a little stir.
- Spread the rest of the glaze on the short ribs, sprinkle with the light brown sugar. Turn up the oven to 200C/400F and cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes until the short ribs are dark and sticky looking.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with chilli flakes and fresh coriander and serve with boiled rice.