Broccoli Cheese Soup with Bacon Fried Bread Croutons – Speedy comfort food in a bowl!
Prep Time: 10 mins |Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli stalk removed, chopped into small florets
- 500 ml hot vegetable or chicken stock either homemade or use 2 stock cubes with water. Use bouillon for gluten free
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 100 g chopped kale (optional – but it helps the soup to look more vibrantly green, and it’s healthy too!)
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese
- 60 ml double (heavy) cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 pieces bread crust removed, cut into 1cm cubed chunks (use gluten-free bread if required)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, and fry the onion gently for 4-5 minutes until it starts to go translucent. Add in the broccoli, stock and garlic salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the kale in for the last minute so it just wilts.
- Whilst the soup is cooking, make the soup topping. Heat one tbsp of the vegetable oil in a frying pan until hot. Add the bacon and cook on a high heat for 2-3 minutes each side until crispy. Remove the bacon from pan and place on some kitchen paper to drain. Add the remaining one tbsp of oil to the pan and heat on a medium-high heat. Add the bread cubes and cook for 1-2 minutes, moving around the pan all the time, until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and drain on the kitchen paper. Chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Once the soup has cooked, take off the heat and blend using a hand blender. Put back on the heat, add in the cheese and cream and stir until he cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper, then ladle into 3 bowls. Top with the bacon and croutons and serve.