White Chilli Chicken Con Carne Style – perfect when you feel like a change from regular chilli con carne!
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins| Total Time: 55 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 regular onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1-2 jalapenos chopped finely (just use one jalapeno and remove the seeds if you don’t like it too hot)
- 1 yellow bell pepper de-seeded and chopped in chunks
- 720 ml 3 cups good-quality chicken stock (use fresh stock or bouillon for gluten free)
- 2 x 300g 10.5oz tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 120 ml 1/2 cup milk (semi-skimmed or whole)
- Meat from one whole cooked chicken shredded (remove the skin)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp cornflour cornstarch mixed with 4 tbsp cold water to make a slurry (optional)
- Boiled rice
- Tortilla crisps
- Fresh coriander cilantro roughly chopped
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add in the chopped onion and fry for 6-8 minutes on a medium heat, until the onion softens.
- Add in the garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, ground coriander, ginger, jalapenos, and yellow pepper chunks. Stir and cook for 3 minutes, until the spices start to release their fragrance.
- Add in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the cannellini beans and cook for a further 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in the milk, then add in the shredded cooked chicken. Bring to the boil again and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in half the lemon juice, then taste. Add more lemon juice and seasoning if required.
- If you’d like the sauce to be thicker, stir in half of the cornflour slurry. Add the rest if needed.
- Turn off the heat and serve over boiled rice with some tortilla crisps. Top with fresh coriander, grated cheddar, sour cream and a few more slices of jalapeno.