Show that special person how much you love them with CHOCOLATE!! These are my Valentines Nutella French Toast Hearts – An easy Valentines breakfast!
Prep Time: 15 mins |Cook Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 25 mins
- 1 tbsp plain (all purpose) flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp caster sugar (or use superfine)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 6 slices extra-thick sliced white bread
- 10 Strawberries Look for dark red, juicy strawberries
- 2 figs
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 135 g Nutella slightly warmed to loosen it up (a few seconds in a microwave or a warm pan should be enough)
- 1 tsp confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
- Place the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix together. Add the egg and whisk together to combine, then add the milk and vanilla bean paste and whisk again until no lumps remain.
- Take a large, heart-shaped cookie cutter (12-15cm from top to bottom), and cut a heart shape from each piece of bread. Alternatively you can do this by hand using a sharp knife or a pair of sharp kitchen scissors. I like to cut the first heart from the bread, then use that one as a template for the rest – so they’re all the same shape for stacking.
- Slice the strawberries, top to bottom, then shape each slice into a little heart shape with your knife (this is optional, you can just slice them if you like).Cut each fig into 3 wedges.
- Melt the butter on a medium-high heat in a large frying pan (skillet). Then dip the bread hearts in the egg mixture, ensuring they’re completely covered in the mixture.
- Place the dipped bread into the pan and fry each side for 1-2 minutes until golden. I like to fry the edges of the bread for a few seconds too – simply hold the bread hearts, in stacks of 3 on their side using tongs to do this.
- Add a french toast heart to each plate (two plates). Top with a tablespoon of Nutella followed by half of the strawberries. Repeat the layers, then top with the final piece of French toast – so you have 3 French toast hearts on each plate. Arrange 3 fig wedges on top of the each French toast stack, then drizzle over the remaining Nutella.
- Sift over the confectioners’ sugar and serve.