Tuscan Style Chicken Soup – a hearty soup with veggies and beans to warm up your belly! The broth is really flavourful
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 45 mins |Total Time: 1 hr
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 stick of celery sliced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 litre good-quality chicken stock (ideally homemade, but water with stock cubes will work too. Use water plus bouillon for gluten free)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 400 g cooked cannellini beans washed and drained
- 2 skinless cooked chicken breasts shredded
- 100 g chopped kale
- Small bunch fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- Fresh thyme
- Toasted granary bread to serve gluten free if required – Warburtons Newburn Bakehouse Seeded is a good one
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrots and potatoes, stir, then add in the chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the drained cannellini beans and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Add the shredded chicken and heat through for 2-3 minutes, then add the kale. Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the kale has wilted. Test and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide between four bowls, topped with fresh parsley, grated parmesan and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme. Serve with some toasted granary bread.