Strawberry Streusel cupcakes – Light, fluffy sponge with chunks of juicy strawberry, stopped with crunchy streusel and a sweet strawberry drizzle.
Prep Time: 25 mins |Cook Time: 20 mins |Total Time: 45 mins
- 140 g plain flour
- 85 g cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 75 g light brown muscovado sugar
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 80 ml vegetable or coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 230 ml strawberry yoghurt ideally full fat, but fat-free does work
- 250 g plain flour plus 1 extra tbsp. to mix with the strawberries
- 1 tsp baking soda bicarbonate of soda
- 300 g strawberries hulled and chopped into small chunks mixed with 1 tbsp plain flour
- 100 g strawberries hulled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 7 tbsp icing powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200c/400f
- Make your streusel by placing the flour and butter in a bowl and rubbing it together to form breadcrumbs. They don’t have to be too fine, some larger lumps are good. Once you have breadcrumbs, mix in the sugar and leave to one side.
- Next make your cupcakes. Add the sugar and egg to a large bowl and mix using a fork or balloon whisk. Add in the oil and vanilla extract, stir, and then add in the yogurt and stir to combine. Next add in the flour and baking soda and mix together using a wooden spoon. Gently fold in the chopped strawberries that have already been mixed with 1 tbsp. flour.
- Take a 12 hole muffin tin and fill each hole two thirds full (you don’t need cupcake cases) with the cake mixture. You may find you just about have enough for one extra cupcake if you have another tin!. Add a heaped tbsp. of the streusel topping on top of each cupcake. Place in the oven and cook at 200c/400f for 5 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180c/350f and cook for a further 15 minutes. Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and cooling further on a cooling rack.
- Whilst the cupcakes are in the oven, make your drizzle. Place your chopped strawberries in a bowl and add the caster sugar. Give a gentle mix and then leave to macerate for 15-20 minutes. Once the juices have been released, push this juicy mixture through a sieve and add the icing (powdered) sugar to the liquid. Whisk together until all lumps have disappeared. You should have a drizzle that is of thick pouring consistency. Leave to thicken a little more for a few minutes, and then drizzle over your cooled cupcakes.
These cupcakes will keep for 2 days in a sealed container at room temperature.