The BEST ever homemade creamed corn recipe! The absolute perfect yet easy peasy side dish for all! So creamy, so velvety, so amazing.
Yield: 8 servings | prep time: 15 minutes | cook time: 25 minutes | total time: 40 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (16-ounce) bags frozen yellow corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon excess fat; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Melt butter in the skillet. Add garlic and shallot, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in half and half until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in sugar; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in corn; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with bacon and garnished with chives, if desired.