Squidgy Cherry and Almond Blondies – Deliciously moist blondies with all the those Cherry Bakewell flavours PLUS white chocolate!
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 50 mins |Total Time: 1 hr
- 140 g good quality white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 120 g unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g golden caster or granulated sugar
- 125 g ground almonds/almond meal (not almond flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 60 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 large eggs lightly whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 410 g tin cherry pie filling the type in the thick sauce, not cherry juice, drained (no need to rinse)
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170c/325f and line a 20cmx20cm baking tin with baking parchment. Melt one third of the white chocolate. You can do this in the microwave in 30-second bursts (stirring each time) or in a bowl over some simmering water. Put to one side. Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat together using a wooden spoon until pale and creamy. Add in the almonds, baking powder, flour, eggs, vanilla, almond extract and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and the chopped chocolate.
- Spoon out the mixture into the prepared baking tin (it should be a thick mixture). Push the mixture to the corners and smooth it with the back of a spoon. Top with cherries from the cherry pie filling, pushing them into the mixture slightly.
- Sprinkle on the sliced almonds, then place in the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes – until an inserted skewer comes out clean. NOTE: The top goes dark quite quickly, so it’s a good idea to cover it with some foil after about 20-25 minutes in the oven.
- Once cooked, take out of the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin. Take out of the tin, then cut the blondies into 16 pieces.
These blondies can be stored at room temperate for 3-4 days in a sealed container.