Need a recipe for leftover ham? This is the one you for you. Kind of like potato dauphinoise, but made even better with pieces of ham and caramelised onions. These Scalloped Potatoes are comfort food heaven!
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 2 hrs 10 mins | Total Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 7 oz (200g) cooked ham cubed
- 4 red-skinned potatoes* peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 1/3 cups (560ml) full fat milk
- 3/4 cup (180ml) double (heavy) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 packed cups (150g) grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1/2 packed cup (50g) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 packed cup (50g) grated Red Leicester cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Grease a large casserole dish.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan (skillet) on a medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper and ¼ tsp garlic salt. Fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring often until the onions soften. Turn off the heat.
- Now make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the flour and stir with a whisk. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk, a splash at a time, whilst stirring with the whisk until incorporated, and no lumps remain.
- Add the cream and three quarters of the cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half the onion mixture and half of the cubed ham. Sprinkle over ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper.
- Pour over half the sauce.
- Repeat the layers with the potato, onion, ham, salt, pepper and the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese, the Gruyere and red Leicester over the top.
- Cover the dish with foil and place in the oven for 75-90 minutes – until the potatoes are tender (you can check by pushing a knife through them, They should cut through potatoes easily).
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 15-20 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve topped with a sprinkling of fresh thyme.