Savoury Dinner Pancakes with Chilli Butter. These Savoury Pancakes would make great street food! Simple and quick to make – great for a speedy dinner!
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 x 15cm (6″) length of chorizo chopped into small chunks
- 210 g plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 tbsp (yes, tbsp, not tsp) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 300 ml milk full or half fat
- 8 spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese
- 60 g salted butter slightly softened
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 8 rashers streaky bacon fried and chopping into small pieces
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to a very low setting (to keep the cooked pancakes warm whilst you’re cooking the rest).First fry the chorizo by placing in a frying pan and cooking on a high heat for 1-2 minutes until it starts to release it’s oils. Transfer the cooked chorizo to a plate.
- Next make your pancake batter. In a large bowl place the flour, baking powder, salt and egg. Start to mix slowly with a balloon whisk or fork whilst slowly adding in the milk. You should end up with quite a thick pancake batter. Don’t overmix, it’s fine if it’s still a little bit lumpy. Stir in 3/4 of the spring onions (scallions).
- Now make your chilli butter by mixing the salted butter and chopped chilli together in a small bowl. Once mixed, place in the fridge to firm up.
- Heat the butter on a medium-high heat in a large frying pan or on a large griddle, then brush it around to cover the pan. Add blobs of pancake batter – approx 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) per pancake. Fry for 1 1/2-2 minutes, until bubbles appear on top of the pancake. Then sprinkle the cooked chorizo and cheese on top. Turn the pancakes over and allow to cook for a further minute or two, until cooked through. You will probably have to work in batches – as this recipe makes 12 pancakes. Keep the cooked pancakes warm by placing in the pre-warmed oven.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked, stack them up and top with crispy bacon, the reserved spring onions, a spoonful of chilli butter and a good drizzle of golden syrup.