Roasted beet and orange salad is a nutritious and delicious meal! Roasted beets and fresh oranges are layered over a bed of arugula and topped with goat cheese, walnuts and citrus vinaigrette dressing!
For the beets:
- 6 medium sized beets red and yellow
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 heaping cups arugula
- 3 oranges peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup goat cheese crumbles
For the beet salad dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler and slice into two inch pieces. Line a baking pan with two pieces of aluminum foil. Place the red beets in the middle of one sheet of foil and the yellow beets on the other. Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over each sheet of beets. Fold up edges and pinch to close and form two pouches. I don’t want colors to bleed so I make two separate pouches. Place on baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender.
- While the beets are roasting, prepare the dressing by whisking together the orange juice, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and honey.
- Once beets are done roasting, mix them together with half of the salad dressing. You can mix two separate bowls to prevent the colors from bleeding. Layer arugula on plate or bowl then top with beets, orange wedges, walnuts and goat cheese. Drizzle with remaining dressing, as desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
- The roasted beets will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can either prepare the salad in advance or assemble the salad just prior to serving.
- This recipe makes 5 to 6 small servings or 3 large servings. Serving size may vary depending on the exact size of the beets.