These Ricotta Pancakes with Creamy Lemon Sauce – are creamy, pillowy and delicious. Something a little bit different for your weekend brunch.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 25 mins
- 1 cup 240g ricotta (it should be firm – make sure any liquid is poured off)
- 3/4 cup 180ml milk
- 2 eggs separated into yolks and whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup 120g plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
Lemon Cream Sauce
- 3 eggs
- 50 g unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp double/heavy cream
- 1 pomegranate – fleshy seeds only (see tip below)
- Start with the lemon sauce. In a medium sized saucepan, mix together the eggs, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey and cream.
- Heat slowly whilst stirring slowly with a whisk all the time. After about 4-5 minutes of stirring, the sauce will start to thicken. Keep stirring, until the sauce is the thickness of a light custard, then turn off the heat.
- Strain through a sieve to remove any lumps of egg white and lemon zest. Put one side.
- Now make the pancakes. Place the ricotta, milk, egg yolks and vanilla into a mixing bowl and stir to combine (it will look a little lumpy, don’t worry, that’s just the ricotta texture – you won’t notice lumps in your pancakes).
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and stir until just combined.
- Place the egg whites in separate bowl, and whisk until stiff.
- Add 2 tbsp of the egg whites to the pancake batter and stir in to loosen the mixture, then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Place a large frying pan (skillet) or hot plate over a medium high heat. Grease the pan with the butter – wiping off any excess, so it’s just lightly greased.
- Use approx. 1/3 cup (about 90ml) of batter per pancake. Place on the hot griddle (you may need to make this in 2 or 3 batches). Turn down the heat to medium-low and cook for 2-3 minutes until starting bubble at the edges. Then turn the pancakes over and cook for a further minute or two until golden. Repeat with the remaining pancakes, greasing the pan lightly each time.
- Divide the pancakes between three plates. Pour over the sauce (you can reheat for a few seconds, but it should still be warm). Sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds then serve.