Looking for pancakes with a twist for Shrove Tuesday? How about my Pancake Tacos with Caramelized Peaches and Pancetta! Guaranteed to go down a storm!!
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
- 210 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 300 ml milk half fat or full fat
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 ripe peaches
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract mixed with 2 tsp water
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 slices approx 100g of pancetta
- sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp syrup or honey
- 300 ml double/heavy cream
- 80 g confectioners’ sugar icing sugar, sifted
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, salt, and milk in a large bowl. Use a balloon whisk to mix until combined.
- Pour ¼ tbsp. oil in a large skillet, then wipe around with a kitchen towel to cover the pan. Heat the pan on a medium heat until hot. Pour in enough mixture to make three pancakes (approx. ¼ cup of mix per pancake). Turn the pancakes over when bubbles form on top and then burst, and the edges start to look firm (about 1-2 minutes). Cook on the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the mixture – oiling the pan each time – until all the pancakes are cooked (you can keep the pancakes warm in a very low oven whilst you’re making each batch).
- Whilst the pancakes are cooking, whip the cream. Place the cream in a large bowl and whisk until slightly thickened. Add in the confectioners’ sugar and whisk again until soft peaks form*. Spoon into a piping bag with a large fluted nozzle and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Next, heat up another frying pan (skillet) or a griddle on a high heat.
- Slice the peaches so you have 12 wedges from each peach. brush with the vanilla-water mixture and sprinkle all over with the brown sugar.
- Place the peach wedges on the griddle and cook for a minute on each side until the sugar caramelises. Remove from the heat.
- Add the pancetta into the frying pan and cook for around 30-60 seconds each side until crisp. Remove from the heat.
- Now it’s time to assemble. Fold one of the pancakes into a taco shape and place on a large serving board/plate/tray. Prop up with a glass or cup on each side to keep it in the taco shape, then place another pancake next to the first in the same way (moving the supporting glass/cup so there’re now two tacos in between). Continue this way until all the pancake tacos are in place.
- Take the cream from the fridge and pipe into each pancake. Top with the peach and pancetta sliced, then top with a few fresh thyme leaves.
- Serve with syrup or honey.
* It you want to stabilise the cream (so it stays soft and doesn’t seize), stir together 1tsp powdered gelatin with 4tsp cold water. Allow to sit to 2-3 minutes, then heat in the microwave for a few seconds to completely melt the gelatin. Stir again, and allow to cool for a few minutes.Whisk this mixture into your whipped cream.