This is my Mexican Shashuka, with dippy eggs poached in a rich Cajun tomato sauce, its the perfect thing to spice up your breakfast.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins |Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 red chili chopped
- 2 x 400g (14 oz) tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Cajun spice
- 1 tsp chipotle sauce
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- 1 small red onion peeled and finely sliced
- Small bunch coriander roughly torn
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until slightly softened. Add the red pepper, garlic and chopped chilli, cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, paprika, Cajun spice, chipotle, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle bubble and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a spoon to make 4 hollows for the eggs. Crack the eggs individually and pour into the hollows. Simmer gently for 5-6 minutes until the white is cooks and the yolk is still runny. If you want to makes the whites set faster, you can cover the pan with a lid or some foil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle on the chilli flakes. Top with chopped avocado, red onion coriander, soured cream and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.
- Serve with grilled flatbreads for dipping.
Nutritional Information is per serving.