Light and Creamy Barbecue Chicken Salad is made with Greek yogurt, barbecue sauce, yellow onion and a few simple seasonings to create a chicken salad that you will want to eat all year long!
Yield: 4 servings |Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce + more as desired
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Fill a 3 to 3.5-quart sauce pan full of water. Add the chicken breasts and garlic clove. Bring to a full boil and then turn off the heat and cover the pot. After 12 minutes, remove one of the breasts and cut into the thickest part to check to see if they are done (they should be cooked through and register at least 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer). If there is any pink, return to the pot for another 15 minutes. Drain chicken through a colander, discard the garlic clove and cool slightly.
- Chop or shred the chicken into small pieces. Add the chicken and onion to a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, barbecue sauce, honey, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Add the yogurt mixture to the large bowl with the chicken mixture and toss well to combine. Add more barbecue sauce, as desired. Serve on bread with sliced pineapple and greens or layer over a salad. Serve immediately or store chicken salad in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Enjoy!