Lentils with Bacon, a naturally gluten-free recipe that’s a perfect way to add healthy lentils to your diet with the indulgent flavor of bacon. I’ve added smoked paprika to add more smoky flavor without any calories. Serve as a mostly-meatless main, or with salmon.
Prep Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dry green french lentils, sorted, about 12 ounces
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced celery hearts and leaves (the tender light green stalks in the center of the bunch)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring water and lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer (medium-low) and cook, stirring occasionally until just tender, 15 to 22 minutes. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup cooking liquid (see tip*)
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until crisp but not burnt, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a towel-lined plate. Pour off the bacon fat and gently wipe out the pan with a clean paper towel. When bacon is cool enough to handle, chop.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Add onion, celery hearts and leaves, garlic, salt and thyme and cook,stirring often until the onion is softened and the celery is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked lentils, vinegar, smoked paprika, pepper and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and cook, stirring until the mixture is hot and thoroughly combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped bacon and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Serve warm.
2.6 mg cholesterol, 0 g added sugar
Tip* To reserve cooking liquid, place a large measuring cup or bowl under the strainer. The measuring cup/bowl will catch the cooking liquid.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 830 mg
- Fat: 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
- Fiber: 7.8 g
- Protein: 9.3 g