Instant pot chicken and rice is a healthy instant pot recipe made with hearty veggies, chicken and fresh lemon flavor. Make this easy pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe for dinner tonight or any day of the week.
Yield: 5 servings | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 35 mins | Total Time: 45 mins
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth divided
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides; set aside.
- Preheat Instant Pot by pressing the Sauté button. Heat olive oil, then sear chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on both sides. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Deglaze pot with ¼ cup of chicken broth, scraping the brown bits from the bottom. Add onion, and carrot and sauté 2-3 minutes until softened, stirring often. Add garlic and cook an additional 30-60 seconds until fragrant. Press Cancel.
- Add remaining chicken stock, lemon juice and zest, peas, rice, and parsley, stirring well to combine. Place chicken thighs on top, but do not stir.
- Close and seal the lid. Cook on Manual High for 7 minutes, allowing a 10 minute Natural Release, then releasing the remaining pressure by flipping the valve.
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken with two forks. Mix everything together, then serve topped with additional parsley, a crack of black pepper, and lemon wedges.
- Use white rice that is rinsed and drain to prevent burning or sticking to the bottom.
- You can omit the lemon, if desired or add even more lemon flavor.
- You can substitute or add more vegetables, if desired. Mushrooms and diced bell pepper work great too.
- Store the leftovers in your fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat prior to serving.