These baked huevos rancheros avocados are an easy, fresh, and light vegetarian low carb breakfast or snack idea.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 15 minutes | Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 avocados halved
- 4 eggs
- 3 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/4 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro loosely packed
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 small jalapeno pepper roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce
- Refried beans
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place rack in middle position.
- Add the avocado halves to a baking sheet (cover with foil for easy clean-up) or a greased muffin tin. Add one egg to each avocado half. The egg whites will spill out a bit (you can scoop out more avocado or just use the yolks if you’re concerned about wastage).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for runny yolks, 15-17 minutes for over medium, and about 20 minutes for well done eggs. Each oven will vary, so use this as a rough guide.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa by adding the salsa ingredients to a food processor and then blending until everything is roughly mixed.
- Before serving, I like to add some salt and pepper to the avocado halves. Serve the avocado halves with the salsa and the optional accompaniments if desired (Tabasco sauce, refried beans, and tortillas).
- This is the food processor pictured.