Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Bowls are a delectable mix of teriyaki chicken, cilantro rice, grilled vegetables and pineapple! Kids and adults will love that they are flavorful, easy and healthy.
- 1/2 cup – low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon – honey
- 1 tablespoon – minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon – rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon – sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons – cornstarch or 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon – water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup – long grain white rice
- dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons – freshly chopped cilantro
- juice from one lime
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 slices of pineapple
- salt and pepper
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, ginger, rice vinegar and sesame oil. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth then whisk into the sauce mixture until combined. Remove one-fourth cup teriyaki sauce and set aside for serving. Add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining teriyaki sauce and marinate in the refrigerator for at least thirty minutes.
- To make the cilantro lime rice, in a medium saucepan bring two cups of water to a boil. Add rice and a dash of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for fifteen minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Cut two large pieces of aluminum foil. Divide the red bell pepper and red onion between the two pieces, drizzle with one teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pull the short sides up and roll them down over each other, then fold over each end to seal and create a packet.
- Prepare grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate.
- Place the marinated chicken and the vegetable packets on the grill directly over the fire. Cook chicken until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through, about five to eight minutes on each side. Cook vegetable packets until done, about fifteen to twenty minutes. While the chicken and vegetable packets are cooking, brush zucchini with remaining olive oil and then arrange the sliced zucchini and pineapple on the grill. Cook for two minutes on each side.
- To arrange the bowls, divide rice between two bowls. Layer each with one piece of chicken, contents of one vegetable packet (be careful opening the foil packets because they will release steam), two slices of pineapple and zucchini. Garnish chicken with sesame seeds and serve with additional teriyaki sauce, as desired. Enjoy!