Tomato Basil Pasta is an easy weeknight meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes. Fresh basil, tomatoes, parmesan and pasta create an easy and appetizing pasta dish for lunch or dinner!
Yield: 4 servings | Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins |Total Time: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil until it starts to shimmer. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, red pepper flakes, and crushed tomatoes. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add wine and cook, stirring frequently, until about 3/4 of liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Stir in cream and parmesan cheese to the sauce. Add more water, if necessary to adjust the consistency of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add sauce to cooked pasta. Stir in basil and serve with additional parmesan cheese.
- For this meal, we usually use penne pasta, but you can use any type of pasta that you like.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.