An easy whole roast chicken flavored with lemon and rosemary. Only five minutes prep time!
Prep Time 5 minutes | Cook Time 1 hour 40 minutes | Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 lemon
- Dried herb blend
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Take chicken out of fridge about 30 minutes prior to roasting it.
- Pre-heat oven to 385F and place chicken in a roasting pan with a lid.
- Poke lemon several times with a knife so that it doesn’t explode in the oven and the juice is released. Place lemon in the chicken’s cavity.
- Cover chicken with dried herb blend (the blend I use is made up of garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, oregano, black pepper, and sea salt). Anything similar will work. If blend doesn’t contain salt and pepper, ensure you add it to the chicken separately.
- Garnish chicken with sprigs of fresh rosemary (I put some on top of the chicken, some tucked into the legs, some with the lemon in the cavity, and some under the loose skin by the neck).
- Place chicken in oven. Baste every 20-25 minutes, starting after chicken has been in oven for about 40 minutes.
- Use your discretion to decide when it’s done, to be safe you want a thermometer to read 165F. When chicken is close to being ready, let it cook uncovered for approximately 10 minutes so the skin nicely browns.
- The chicken pictured was 4 pounds and took 1 hour 40 minutes to cook.