These Christmas Gingerbread Pancakes are light and fluffy, with a hint of cinnamon and ginger – perfect for Christmas Day Breakfast!
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 20 mins
- 180 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp dark brown or molasses sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 190 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Maple syrup
- Mini gingerbread men cake toppers
- Fresh cranberries
- Edible gold glitter
- Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, both sugars, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves into a large bowl. Mix together until combined.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest and buttermilk, then mix until just combined using a balloon whisk.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat, then carefully wipe the butter around with a kitchen towel so the pan is finely coated. Pour in enough mixture to make three pancakes (approx. 60ml or ¼ cup of the mixture per pancake). Turn the pancakes over when bubbles form on top and then burst, and the edges start to look firm (about 2-3 minutes). Cook on the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the mixture – until all the pancakes are cooked (you can keep the pancakes warm in a very low oven whilst you’re making each batch).
- Serve the pancakes topped with a pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. You can also decorate with mini gingerbread men cake toppers, cranberries and a little edible glitter.
Nutritional Information is per pancake, without toppings.