This mayo-free Chimichurri Chicken Salad will be the back to school lunch of your dreams and it just happens to be Whole 30 friendly, gluten free and ready in 25 minutes!
rep Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup clean packed cilantro leaves
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or red wine vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped celery hearts
- ¼ cup toasted sliced or slivered almonds
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add ½ teaspoon salt and stir to dissolve. Add chicken breast and return to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, covered, turning occasionally to make sure that it cooks evenly, until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool, about 20 minutes. Cut chicken into ½-inch to 3/4 –inch cubes.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon salt over the garlic and mash with the side of a chef’s knife until it forms a thick paste. Transfer the garlic and salt paste, cilantro, parsley, olive oil and lime juice or vinegar to a food processor and process until it forms a thick paste, scraping down sides occasionally.
- Stir the chicken, the chimichurri, celery and almonds in a medium bowl until the chicken is coated in the chimichurri sauce. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until chilled.