These chicken fajita zoodle bowls are a low-carb way to get your fajita fix! Topped with avocado, Greek yogurt, and fresh cilantro, they make a light and tasty meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 15 minutes | Marinating time: 30 minutes | Total Time 55 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized on medium setting
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into strips
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste (leave out if you want it mild)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 avocado sliced
- Greek yogurt or sour cream to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Prep your chicken and veggies. Add the chicken to a large ZipLoc bag along with 2 tablespoons of oil, the ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if using), and some salt & pepper. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a cast iron skillet or grill pan on medium-high heat. Let the pan get very hot (wait a few minutes). Cook onion and peppers for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they’re tender-crisp and nicely seared. Take the veggies out of the pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the chicken to the skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the first side for 5 minutes (don’t be tempted to move it around the pan – you want a nice sear), and the second side for 3-5 minutes, or until it’s cooked through but not overcooked.
- Turn the heat off. Take the chicken out of the pan and slice it into strips.
- Add the peppers and onions, chicken strips, chopped cilantro, and zucchini noodles to the pan and toss (I like to use tongs). The pan will still be really hot, so the zucchini noodles will warm up a bit without going too watery. Season with more salt & pepper if needed.
- Transfer to bowls and top with avocado, Greek yogurt, and lime wedges.