Butternut squash, black beans, and kale seasoned with warm Southwest spices are the perfect pairing in these vegetarian and gluten-free tacos!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 cups kale rib removed and chopped
- 1/2 of a yellow onion diced
- 1 jalapeño seeds and rib removed then minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder ancho chile powder if you have it
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Several dashes of hot sauce optional
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- Juice of half a lime
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Lime wedges and cilantro for serving
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add in the olive oil and swirl around to coat the pan.
- Add in the butternut squash and cook for approximately 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the diced onion, jalapeño, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce and cook for 3-4 more minutes until the onion has softened and the squash is almost cooked through.
- Add in the kale and cook until the kale is wilted.
- Stir in the black beans and squeeze in the lime juice then turn off the heat.
- Serve on warmed tortillas with cilantro and more lime juice if desired.