Brown Rice Porridge with Figs and Blueberries. I get it, porridge made from brown rice sounds wrong – that’s what I thought – until I tasted it!
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 50 mins |Total Time: 55 mins
- 180 g brown rice – short grain or long grain
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 litre unsweetened almond milk
- 170 g blueberries
- 1 tsp water
- 4 ripe figs sliced into quarters
- 60 g shelled pistachios , some chopped, some left whole
- 4 tsp honey
- Place the brown rice, vanilla extract and all but 120ml (1/2 cup) of the almond milk into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer on a low heat (without a lid) for 40-45 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes. During the last 15 minutes the almond milk will reduce significantly. Top up with the rest of the almond milk at the end if required.
- Just before the porridge is ready, place the blueberries and 1 tsp of water into a small saucepan. Heat on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the blueberries just start to release their juice. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the porridge between four bowls. Top with the blueberries, figs, pistachios and a drizzle of honey.
Nutritional Information is per serving.