Blueberry French Toast Cupcakes are irresistible! A cinnamon maple cake is topped with maple buttercream frosting and fresh blueberries.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
For the frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar sifted + extra as needed
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- blueberries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two standard muffin tins with paper liners. Divide blueberries evenly among muffin cups, placing a few blueberries at the bottom of each cup. Set aside.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add maple syrup and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about ¾-full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cool in the pan about 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Turn the mixer down to low speed and gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Add in the maple syrup, vanilla and salt and mix until incorporated. Turn the mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat for an additional 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Garnish with fresh blueberries and dust with confectioners’ sugar, as desired. Enjoy!