Add all of your favorite Banh Mi fillings to rice and create this delectable rice bowl. Try this Banh Mi Rice Bowl recipe for a twist on the classic banh mi sandwich, but without the bread! The bowl is made with pork tenderloin, pickled veggies, brown rice and sriracha mayo.
Yield: 4 servings |Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Resting time: 1 hr | Total Time: 30 mins
For the pork tenderloin:
- 1 pound pork tenderloin thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
For the pickled veggies:
- 2 carrots shredded
- 2 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the Sriracha mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (or more as desired)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
For the rice bowl:
- 2 cups cooked rice (white, brown or cauliflower)
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 shallot or green onion thinly sliced
- shredded cabbage to garnish (optional)
- Jalapeno slices to garnish (optional)
- Cilantro to garnish (optional)
To make the pork tenderloin:
- Place the pork in a large plastic zipper bag large. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, garlic, ginger, and black pepper, whisking well. Add the contents of the bowl to the bag and toss to coat. Seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Sear the pork in batches, spreading the slices in an even layer and allowing them to brown for 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked pork to a plate and repeat with the remaining pork, adding more oil as needed.
To make the pickled veggies:
- Combine the water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a large mason jar. Seal the jar and shake to combine. Add the carrots and radishes to the jar and allow to marinate 1 hour, or overnight.
To make the Sriracha mayo:
- Combine mayonnaise, sriracha and soy sauce in a small bowl, whisking well to combine. Cover and refrigerate before using, or if there is any left over.
- Divide rice between 4 bowls. Top with cooked pork, pickled veggies, cucumber, shredded cabbage, green onion, jalapeno, and cilantro as desired. Drizzle with Sriracha Mayo and serve immediately.